Friday, September 13, 2019

23 reasons that suggest I may be getting too old for this.




                     
                I don't have bags under my eyes. I have a complete set of luggage.








1. 
I am physically incapable of sitting in a conference room for 14 hours in a single day to talk about advertising.

2.     
I am mentally unable to figure out any timesheet system.

3.     
While the business has gotten as serious as a mortician, I
am funny and often tell jokes in meetings.

4.     
I don’t think I’m always right.

5.     
I’ve never read an email from senior management all the way through to the end.

6.     
I’ve yet to see an agency mission statement I can understand.

7.
Or an explanation of an agency’s “proprietary” method for creating “messaging.”

8.
I still believe creative agencies should be run by creatives. Not creative accountants.

9.
I don’t like fake work. Doing it or reviewing it. I especially don’t like awarding it.

10.
I’m still not convinced people won’t read if you have the skill to write something interesting.

11.
I believe it’s perfectly normal to expect a raise every year or so.

12.
I’ve never been on a customer journey and don’t believe anyone else has either.

13.
I might kill the next person that says “eco-system,” “agile,” or
“disruption.”

14.
I believe that for advertising to work clients have to spend money. Not "hope it goes viral," or convince themselves that people look at social tiles and stock photos.

15.
And keep their message consistent.

16.
And maybe even listen to their agency’s recommendations now and again.

17.
I don't believe in brands (or blowhards) sending out dozens of crappy messages every day. Quality matters. 

18.
Clients who look for cheap agencies usually find them. Doing so invariably costs them more than an expensive agency.

19.
I think agencies should be located within walking distance of great museums and bookstores.

20.
I believe advertising today produces too much stuff and not enough useful information.

21.
I think when advertising is well-done, funny, warm, informative, people actually like it, talk about it and buy things because of it.

22.
I don't believe in "all-hands meetings." What about those of us who have no hands?

23.
Given all that, I’m probably not cynical enough for the business today.


-->



No comments: