Monday, March 23, 2015

My take on March Madness.

Much of the TV I watch, I watch with the sound off.

This time of year, for instance, it's hard for me not to get a little wrapped up by March Madness. And since there seems to be a game on every channel, 24-hours-a-day, when I have some work to do, which I usually do, I'll turn a game on and the sound off, and have it on as background while I'm doing what they pay me for.

It's not real hard to keep track of a basketball game without volume. The score is always present, and super-titles come on if someone notable has made a somewhat notable play. Also, they replay that play ad nauseam as if it were the storming of Mt. Suribachi on Iwo Jima.

Yesterday I had a three or five tasks to do and I turned on the set.

The Wichita State Shockers were playing against the University of Kansas Jayhawks. I don't have much fealty toward either team.

Sinewy tattooed men ran up and back for 40 minutes of playing time, doing all kinds of impossible things with and without a basketball.

When all was said and done the Shockers edged the Jayhawks. People in yellow were happy. People in blue were sad. The tummy-displaying Shocker cheerleaders seemed fairly ebullient. They made me wish I were in college again.

The game was over.

My work was done.

It was time to cook dinner.

Which I did.

As Oklahoma beat Dayton.


No comments: