Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Fearing fear.

"I get the willies when I see closed doors. Even at work, where I am doing so well now, the sight of a closed door is sometimes enough to make me dread that something horrible is happening behind it, something that is going to affect me adversely; if I am tired and dejected from a night of lies or booze or sex or just nerves and insomnia, I can almost smell the disaster mounting invisibly and flooding out toward me through the frosted glass panes. My hands may perspire, and my voice may come out strange. I wonder why.


"Something must have happened to me sometime."
                                          
                                                --Joseph Heller
"Something Happened"


Fear.

Fear is what hangs over most people and most businesses. 

Fear of being found out a fraud. 

Fear of being exposed.

Fear that people will find out that you don't know what you're doing or what you're really saying.

Fear.

Fear I think is what's behind a lot. A lot of everything. (I'll leave it at that for fear of getting my hand-slapped for this post.)

Fear that you spent too many media dollars.

Fear that your message isn't right.

Fear that all those hours burned in creating work will prove to have been a waste.

Fear.

So, I have an idea.

A way to minimize fear.

Let's run the work where no one will see it.

In ads so small and placements so obscure that no one will see them.

But since they didn't cost a lot.

You're ok.

You have nothing to fear.

No comments: