Sunday, May 25, 2008

What I do when I can think of nothing to write about.


There is no shortage of creative people I admire. So when I am stuck, I read something by one of them to get unstuck. Most times it works.

Here today are two quotations by the great director Billy Wilder--a man who came to America in the late 1930s speaking little English and quickly wrote and directed brilliant, funny, important and alive movies in the most American vernacular.

I think these have direct application to life and advertising. Though clients might not see it that way. Perhaps these are the original "Think different."

"An actor entering through the door, you've got nothing. But if he enters through the window, you've got a situation."

"I have ten commandments. The first nine are, thou shalt not bore. The tenth is, thou shalt have right of final cut."

No comments: