Saturday, October 4, 2008

Mavericks.


If you are in advertising, it makes sense now and again, to re-read the thoughts of David Ogilvy. They are eloquent, blunt and so common-sensical that sometimes, I think people forget how profound they are.

In one Ogilvyism David said he once used the word "obsolete" in a headline "only to find out that 38% of the people had no idea what the word meant--including himself."

That made me begin wondering how many people know what maverick means? Part of me believes that boomers like myself hear Maverick and they think of Ford Motors' forerunner of the Pinto. People a few years younger think of the Tom Cruise character in the flick "Top Gun." And people today may think of Dallas' basketball team--which, I believe has changed its name to the Mavs, probably because no one knows what Mavericks are.

Sarah, Sarah, what's the frequency, Sarah?
Do you know what maverick means?
Sarah?

--
And now, a Republican re-writing of that classic Marvin Gaye soul song, "Let's Get it On."

I've been really tryin', baby
Tryin' to hold back this feelin' for so long
And if you feel like I feel, baby
Then come on, oh, come on
Whoo, let's armageddit on
Ah, babe, let's armageddit on
Let's love, baby
Let's armageddit on, sugar
Let's armageddit on.
Whoo-ooh-ooh

No comments: