Wednesday, September 12, 2012

For the sin I have sinned.

We are moving into that time of the year when what's left of the Jewish people after two-millennia of exile and persecution takes time to reflect upon the sins they've committed over the past 12 months. Many of the 13 million Jews left in the world engage in the Holy-Day ritual of Taschlich. This involves throwing bread into a flowing body of water, a symbolic throwing away of sins.

I didn't grow up with any religious training at all, but my wife observes and I've been Taschliching with her and our kids for nearly 30 years. There is something refreshing and liberating about the ritual. I think even non-Jews can enjoy a symbolic casting off.

One of the primary prayers during the High Holy days is "Avinu Malkeinu," which means "Our Father, Our King" and is then followed by a supplication--a request for forgiveness for a sin.

I thought maybe it would make sense to create a few Avinus for our industry and ourselves. You can add to it if you like.

Our Father, Our King, for the sin we have sinned when I declared something is "dead" without evidence.

For the sin I have sinned when I said "this will change everything."

For the sin I have sinned when I scheduled a meeting rather than thinking myself.

For the sin I have sinned when I scheduled a lunch meeting without providing lunch.

For the sin I have sinned for making employees front the agency for travel and food.

For the sin I have sinned when I let HR browbeat people over timesheets and compliance videos.

For the sin I have sinned when I talked over people.

For the sin I have sinned when I rushed to judgment.

For the sin I have sinned when I let politics take precedence over work.

For the sin I have sinned when I accepted ass-kissers.

For the sin I have sinned when I fail to say thank you.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Oh so on your blog you'll admit that you can be judgy-wudgy but not to your daughter in real life?!