Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Yom Kippur.

Today is the Holiest day of the Jewish year, Yom Kippur.

And while I don't believe in any supreme being or the hoary ritual of the liturgy, I have always regarded this day as special.

It's a day where you're meant to reflect. To atone for the myriad sins, slights, miscreances and stupidities you have committed over the last 12 months.

Jews have been doing this for over 5,000 years.

Since the Earth was created, pretty much, if you're a creationist. Or a Republican presidential candidate.

We reflect.

This year, as in some other years, I have had to work.

I am shooting for the next two weeks, and to paraphrase a Con Ed slogan from the 60s, "Shoot We Must."

As for reflection, we should reflect everyday.

Not be so fast.

Not be so smart.

Think about what we do.

Think about how we act.

How we treat people.

Think about how to be a better person. More fulfilled. Richer, and not just in a monetary sense.

To paraphrase another line from the '60s, "You don't have to be Jewish."

I feel bad about working this day.

It's a day when Jews should, even if they're atheists like I am--anti-religion, actually, assert their rights to be Jewish. To take a day off. A day of rest and reflection.

But this year, I'm working.

And what's more Jewish than that?

1 comment:

Rich Siegel said...

You and I are on the same page today.