Monday, July 14, 2014

Thoughts on freelancing.

After two weeks in Italy, only working now and again, I am heading back to the various offices I am working in.

While away I was busy. Busy for three agencies. In fact, during our whole second week of time off, I had something impending hanging over me and my keyboard like the veritable sword of Damocles.

Had I full-time employment, I would have protested this crush. But when you're freelance--and a new freelancer at that--"no" should be eliminated from your vocabulary. You have to come through lest your phone stop ringing.

So, I got up early and worked and went to sleep late and worked. And I got things done, billing hours along the way.

I am four months into freelancing now and I can safely say I don't enjoy it. It's not that the money isn't coming in, it's the precariousness of every single day that gets to me.

I would suppose, perhaps with undo optimism, that if I continue without a full-time job, I'll get used to it, I'll learn to handle the capriciousness of the day-to-day. But for now I am in full nail-biting mode.

That's all for now.

I have to work.

No comments: