Thursday, March 3, 2016

A walker in the city

Usually I get into work early. But of late, in an ongoing attempt to preserve my remaining vestiges of equipoise, I have taken to getting out of my transportation about two miles from work and from, say 66th and Central Park West or 57th and Lex, hoofing it in.

Today, I am down at an edit on 20th and Fifth and I decided to walk the entire way. In all, it was just over 4.5 miles.

Walking might be the best form of transportation in the city. You get to see faces, construction, architecture. You get to feel the energy, movement and pulse of the city.

I walked and walked.

Through the opulence of the 80s and 70s and 60s.

Through the rich retail of the 50s and the tourism of the 40s and 30s.

Into the oh so-ness of the 20s.

I checked no phone for messages.

I had a gentle assortment of Dvorak playing.

I made it five minutes early.

A good morning.

No comments: