Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Too candid by half.

Of all the infuriating commentary we get back from the legions (lesions) of people who today are permitted, empowered, emboldened to make comments, the line that frustrates me most is "this one's really close." Not only does it signal to me a bit of dick-slinging, that is, only someone as astute as I can really make this work...you can only get close, it also says that the other work you've submitted is not close.

My humble opinion is that my work was close from the get-go.

I am not an idiot.

And the 27 rounds of scattershot feedback has served, basically, only to make something that was good, less close along the way.

A long time ago I had a "scoping" discussion with a project manager.

Two words I never heard during my first 20 years in advertising.

"How many hours will this work take," he asked.

"Ten, if they want it good. 75 if they want it to suck."

That's really close.


No comments: