Saturday, August 22, 2009

A true story.


I had to go to our safety deposit box because even though I have been employed by five different Interpublic agencies over the years, an Interpublic agency needed to see my Social Security card so as to prove I am a US citizen.

While I was in the little room and going through my documents, I happened to find my bris certificate. I'm not sure why one needs a bris certificate. You can't fake being circumcised. But none-the-less, I have a certificate that affirms I have been ritually circumcised.

Well it turns our I was snipped nearly 52 years ago by Dr. Isidor M. Binder who claimed in his advertising material (which the certificate was attached to) to have invented the "bloodless clamp method." The good doctor must have been a pretty big schmear because he had two offices, one on 393 West End Avenue in Manhattan and one at 1215 Grand Concourse at 167th Street in the Bronx. However, despite having two offices, Dr. Binder had just one phone number LUdlow 8-8000 in Manhattan, which I decided to call, on the dim hope of speaking to him.

Well, his number is now an office selling residential co-ops in what used to be the Plaza Hotel. Naturally, I've googled Binder but can find no info on him.

PS. He did quite a good job.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip-off, Geo.

XO

Pete

Laura said...

Cut it out with the humor. Serious stuff here.

george tannenbaum said...

you don't have to be so snippy.

Teenie said...

Dang--we were talking about circumcision this morning and still haven't come to a decision. Can you remember if it hurt, Geo?

george tannenbaum said...

It didn't hurt. And it's provided years of jokes.

jeaves said...

In Ontario it isn't covered by our health care plan so you have to pay the pediatrician $150. Wart removal is $50 which made me think.

Please don't tell my son I considered haggling with the Doc.