Thursday, January 13, 2011

Hiders and Seekers.

I've been hit with a spate of rejection of late. Some work I've done has fallen on hard times, my ideas rejected for this reason or that. It's given me pause.

It's given me pause and this is what I've come back with.

In our world, in the agency business, people and companies can be divided, roughly, into two camps. There are the Seekers and the Hiders.

Being a Hider is safer. They are pooler-outers. Keepers of the status-quo. Their creativity and innovation is expressed in fillips and refinements. Nuances and touches. Waves, they don't make. They can, as Yogi Bear used to say, "meld into the forest."

Being a Seeker is a pain in the ass. A pain in the ass to everyone around them. They try new things, Seekers do. They come forward with work and ideas that nobody asked for. Often Seekers are loners. Sharing with no one until they're ready their dissatisfaction and disdain for business as usual.

As you've probably guessed, I am an eternal Seeker. A stranger in a strange land, always looking for a more ambient place. As ye Seek, so shall ye be rejected. You deal with it. And you keep trying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started at a new place and still don't know if I can afford to be a seeker and not be asked to leave after the 6 month trial phase.

george tannenbaum said...

Keep cool, Anon.

Anonymous said...

Stop whining already.

It's a shitty business. We all know it.

If you don't like it, leave.

Anonymous said...

Stop whining already.

It's a shitty business. We all know it.

If you don't like it, leave.