Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Help.

I have often thought that my generation was the last where you could get rapped in the knuckles by your teacher (or your parents) for being a lousy speller. While I in no way condone corporal punishment--except between two consenting adults, of course--the state of our language is severely under duress.

I've just run across three indiscretions in short order on Linked In. All from people for whom communication, clear, cogent, intelligible communication is part of their job description.

I've been asked to accept an invitation from "an intergraded copywriter."

I've been told a friend is looking for "recommendations from her piers."

And the apotheosis from a young copywriter looking for a job: "____is a strategicly fun thinker with outstanding will power... Young and eager, ____ is climbing up the todum pole to a successful career in the ad world and strives to work with a team of intellegent left-brain thinkers..."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately Google revealed the identity of the third on your list at first attempt.

Serves her right.

Anonymous said...

There is an interesting article in Wired's Feb 2012 issure headlined "Use Your Own Words". Written by Anne Trubeck, Associate Professor Oberline College. I can't find the article online however. It questions the need for standardized spelling. English spelling is a terrible mess anyway, full of arbitrary contrivances and exceptions that outnumber rules.

One of my sons is a rather talented story teller. Which all of his teachers acknowledge. But he's about to lose interest in writing as he gets terrible grades due to his disregard for spelling and capitalization of names. His command of the language otherwise is excellent. My other son is an excellent speller, but much less creative. He gets the highest grades.
Language isn't exactly like math. Although writing meaningfully, as well as solving hitherto unsolved math problem take both intelligence and creativity.

dave trott said...

George,
I was in a presentation today and the planner told the client my strapline was good because it had a 'pneumonic'.

george tannenbaum said...

Dave, if I remember correctly, you're famous for your pneumonics.

dave trott said...

As Groucho might say: they were the oldmonics, I'm looking for some newmonics.

dave trott said...

I think you'll appreciate this link, George: http://www.happyplace.com/13722/the-most-blatant-grammar-and-spelling-mistakes-ever-seen-in-tattoos