Monday, November 26, 2012

The busiest online shopping day of the year.

"I went to the mall," Uncle Slappy began without even saying his customary "Hello, Schmendrick." "I went to the mall," the old man continued. "Sylvie dragged me. She said the sales were not to be missed. So we went on Black Friday to the mall."

"Good morning, Uncle Slappy," I interrupted.

"If you have an enemy, if there's someone you detest, abhor, can't stand, to the mall on the day after Thanksgiving you should send them."

"I'm surprised you actually left the condo, Uncle Slappy. Why didn't you just shop online? I got you the MacBook Air last Hannukah so down to the pool you could bring it. Is there something wrong with your computer."

"No," the Old Man said ruefully, "I misunderstood. The Mac, like a top it runs. But here's what happened."

I interjected a pre-emptive "Oy," and let the Old Man run.

"You remember two years ago the schmuck down three condos said I parked in his space. To the condo board he goes accusing me of trespassing, a Rabbi, trespassing in his exalted parking space."

"I remember," I said, "it was quite a tsimmis."

"Yes, it was a fight with a schmuck by the name of Si Berg. A dermatologist from Hewlett, a pimple-popper, if you will."

"I will," I answered.

"Well all over the radio all weekend long, I hear about some big event honoring Si Berg on Monday."

"And event honoring Si Berg?"

"Yes, every news story I hear has something about Si Berg Monday. How everyone will be shopping on Si Berg Monday. I said to Sylvie, if everyone is honoring that putz Si Berg, if they're naming a day after him, let's go to the mall on Friday and avoid Si Berg on Monday and every other day."

"I see," I responded, my voice barely audible over the shaking of my head.

"Si Berg Monday, my tuchas," Slappy spat.

I thought about trying to explain but I thought better of it.

"So, listen to me, Schmendrick," the old man concluded, "Stay out of the store today. Si Berg don't deserve your money."

I said goodbye. And walked to work feeling like I had gone three rounds peppered with jabs and crosses from a crafty welterweight, bruised and more than a little worse for wear.







 



8 comments:

Tore Claesson said...

Black Friday is nothing compared to everyday shopping in Hongkong. They are mad here. Bargains everyday all year round. And people shop they do.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

The world needs an Uncle Slappy

Rich Siegel said...

Who's on first?

brandingstuffs said...

This was really such a great and fun website . I really do think that I have learned so much. This was really awesome. Safe Online Shopping Safety Tips Holiday Tips online shopping website

Anonymous said...

you're really a good webmaster. The website loading velocity is incredible. It seems that you are doing any distinctive trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you've done a wonderful task
on this subject!
Here is my web page ... samson tobacco

Anonymous said...

If we evaluate the meaning of the idea of really enjoy, with comparison to its a romantic partnership by using one more, although for a experience that's engendered when you've got miltchmonkey a better marriage with ourselves far too - or even just as the a sense of better unity with the family or human race , then it becomes a lot more crystal clear that most anyone needs in your daily course is really like.