Thursday, September 11, 2008

"Getting and spending, we lay waste our power."


The title above is from a Wordsworth sonnet called "The World is Too Much With Us." I was thinking about it recently and actually had the hubris to rewrite it: "Meeting and meeting, we lay waste our creativity."

Believe it or not, however, this is not a screed against meetings. It's a screed against not breathing. Now let me tell you a story. Not long ago I was in a creative meeting. We were intently discussing briefs, brands, thoughts, etc. Though I was listening, I started looking out the window. And there, over Manhattan, was a glorious rainbow.

Here's my point. Whatever you're doing, stop doing it so hard. Stop your meetings, stop your getting and spending. Stop you-toing and froing, your hemming and hawing. Instead, look for rainbows. I bet it makes your work and your life better.

No comments: