Tuesday, November 8, 2011

New York. Then and now.


There's a new book that has just come to my attention called "New York in Color" photographs of New York edited by Bob Shamis. The photo that illustrated the write-up on the book in "The New York Times" really brought me back to less sanitized days.

In the 70s, New York had really jumped the rails. We were averaging nearly 6 murders a day and it seemed we were never more than a blackout away from having a riot.

I was in high school during some of these years. I remember playing the outfield during a game against another school. The field was rutted and worn. A bankrupt New York had no money for playing fields. I remember a couple of guys coming up to me while the game was going on and trying to sell me drugs. I remember working nights and coming home to my small apartment at 3 in the morning with my keys woven between my fingers. Protection, however slight, against being mugged.

Nothing seemed to work in those days. The subways had no air-conditioning in the summer and no heat in the winter. They were as covered in ink as an ambitious hipster.

Of course, New York even during its descent into hell was still New York. It still had a fury, a life and a beauty that I've never seen matched. Gordon Parks captured a bit of that in here:


I'm not really nostalgic about the days of fear in New York. I like the city as safe. I like that things seem somewhat in control these days. I don't miss the fires in the Bronx, the sky high murder rate and the live sex shows on 42nd Street.

A local New York public radio station is running a promotion called Beethoven Appreciation Month. They have posted this around town. It's a very different place today.

3 comments:

John said...

phen375 diet pills for cheap typical phen375 results phen375 37.5 mg no prescription needed weight loss with phen375 success stories If we are thinking about Phen375, it is very important to understand how our bodies work, and how the way Phen375 will transform our bodily activities to control our appetite and make us reduce weight through fat burning. Phen375 has an in depth web site where the structure of the 5 enzyme boosters is presented completely, allowing you to understand everything about it before you buy. Phen375 is completely safe, and registered, in web site you will see just how it has been made to aid you. If you're overweight, or have a friend who is battling with overweight, getting Phen375 is the next step forward. Phen375 really does do what it says. It works. Producers of Phen375 are very confident that you will be satisfied with the outcomes you gain, that they offer you a full, money back guarantee if for any reason you are not happy with the solution. As long as you eat less it really doesn't matter what types of foods you put in, sugar, protein, carbs, etc. If you hear someone tell you differently then challenge them because they certainly haven't done their research. There is no special food that burns body fat, the only thing that others are teaching you are to simply eat this food and that food, when in fact they are cutting your calories causing you to lose weight. In studies the participants appeared to weigh 5-8 pounds less when wearing a grapefruit scent. Obesity in Singapore

Anonymous said...

As the admin of this site is working, no uncertainty very shortly it will
be well-known, due to its quality contents.


Here is my page Phen375 Buy
my web page :: phen375 reviews

Anonymous said...

Nobody must be hurt due to an addiction. And there have been sweet men; intelligent and funny, some recently divorced, others just lonely as well as
in search as someone to go to who wasn't a guy. I would not want my Mom helping me, so it was very liberating will know I could help it become on my own own.

Feel free to surf to my webpage - Watch All Natural Cuties