Monday, June 8, 2015

Another cab ride.

There's a new app-run car service in New York called Via. It works just like Uber, only instead of having you're own car going your route, you share rides.

The thing is, I can get from home to work, or vice-versa for just $5.44. Just $2.50 more than the subway.

A fantastic deal.

I worked late on Friday and took a Via car home. I had the car to myself until we stopped on Central Park West and 67th to pick another passenger up.

She got into the cab loaded for bear. She immediately got into an argument with the driver. It escalated from there. After five minutes, as we were headed east, things calmed down.

She saw me working on my Mac and asked if I were an editor.

"No, I'm in advertising," I said, "I'm a copywriter."

"That's funny," she remarked "my dad had his own small agency. Did most of the work for Finlandia cheese and Alpine Lace."

I said I knew the work.

"He also did Kraukas hams," she continued.

"Kraukas and Atalantas hams," I corrected.

"How do you know that?" she asked, stunned.

"I heard those commercials on WQXR for my entire childhood. My mother always had the radio on and I must have heard those commercials five times a day for 15 years."

"That's amazing," she said. She gave me her business card and urged me to contact her dad.

"Here's the thing," she said. "I never tried one of those hams. Neither did my dad. He was a Holocaust survivor and kept kosher."

I reached my stop and left the car.

With her business card.

No comments: