Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Give and take, it's up and left.

For the most part I've always enjoyed good relationships with account people and clients. I work hard, very hard to learn the businesses I am on to the point where it's not unusual for clients to tell me "You know our business better than we do." If I've had any success in this business, that's been my secret.

Accordingly I've always been able to negotiate with clients and account. If something is needed on a Tuesday and I can't possibly finish it until Thursday, I've always been able to work a deal. To say, I'll get it to you Thursday but with full copy. The client sees I'm working with them and usually slack is cut.

That's the way things used to be.

Today our entire world lives under a black cloud of fear.

Everything is a demand.

No good deed goes unpunished.

No outrageous request can be negotiated.

Give and take has got up and gone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A question dear George. The agency I work at, creatives usually fly in somewhere between 9:30-10:30am in the morning. I on the other hand like to come in at 9 and get a head start on things. Thus in the evening I sometimes leave 6pm sharp, sometimes I stay a bit longer but not more than an hour.

Recently I got told to stay, on my way out, because there is "too much work". I told the person that I’m well aware of what I have to get done and that I can finish it on time tomorrow and that there is no need for me to waste my evening.

Now no one has said anything yet, but I get strange looks when I leave at 6pm and everyone else is buried into their computers like worms in the sand.

Do you have any comments on that?

george tannenbaum said...

Anonymous, I agree with you. I arrive usually closer to 7:30 than 8. And do more work before most people arrive than they do in a week. Within reason, work styles are personal and we should be accepting of idiosyncrasies. That said, my experience is that early workers are the most productive workers.

Tore Claesson said...

Well, we're all a bit different. I have mostly in my life come in to work early. Earlier than most creatives for sure. But I do find it hard to be "creative" in the morning. However, I get other things done or out of the way in the mornings. Late at night, preferably alone, undisturbed, I really start to hum.