Sunday, February 26, 2012

Brooklyn, visited.

We traveled out to Brooklyn today--something I do roughly every year or so, this time to see Kevin Spacey in Sam Mendes' production of Shakespeare's "Richard III."

It seems the whole world, everyone under 40 in my office has moved to Brooklyn and, since I have no intention of ever leaving Manhattan, I was afraid lest Brooklyn is as great and as cool and with it as the hepcats who inhabit my workspace claim it is.

Truth be told I wasn't in Brooklyn long enough to form an opinion. And the neighborhood around the Brooklyn Academy of Music is still pretty horrid, though way better than it was five years ago. We did walk to the Williamsburg Savings Bank and breeze through the junk fair--which is graciously called a flea market and we gaped at the mosaic ceilings and architectural detail.

The play itself was ok. Spacey was uneven. I wasn't enjoying it at all until he bellowed near the end "A horse. A horse. My kingdom for a horse."



Anyway, here are three pictures I snapped of Brooklyn. Long may she wave.

2 comments:

Dave Trott said...

How appropriate for the end of February: "Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this son of York."

george tannenbaum said...

Oh, but Dave, New York is now like England in the 12th and 13th centuries...we have no winter.

Plenty of discontent, of course, but no winter.