Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Collecting.

Years ago, and at a very young age, I worked on a new business pitch of some magnitude and was selected to present the work to the client. I flew out to Indianapolis with my boss, the eponymous co-owner of the agency, and a senior account person.

While on the plane I began writing in a notebook notes to myself that would explain what I wanted to say. I put enough thought into this as to keep my notes short and bulleted. The account guy saw me writing and when we got into the rental car he asked me what I had been doing.

Collecting my thoughts, I answered.

He said, I've never seen a creative do that before.

Today we live in an era in which we employ Weapons of Mass Deckstruction.

Every little movement in something as important as new business seems to be scripted and choreographed and rehearsed.

We lay on page after page of powerpoint.

We positively swill in our own importance.

Me, personally, I still prefer a few sentences typed out--not late at night, not during the heat of the moment--that tell the story.



3 comments:

Tore Claesson said...

yep, it's become a show for show's sake.
Unfortunately not Broadway worthy.

Tore Claesson said...

Plato said: "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something".

dave trott said...

Tore, I like the Plato quote so much I will nick it immediately.