Friday, May 14, 2010

Irvine, California and Chico Marx.

My wife, an inveterate business traveler, told me a story this morning about the splendid customer service at the Doubletree Inn in Irvine, CA. She asks for a king bed and the check-in clerks says, "we're all out of king beds. But I can upgrade you to the Executive Floor."

Turns out every floor in the hotel is called an "Executive Floor".

Anyway, it reminded me of this dialogue from The Marx Brothers' 1929 movie "The Cocoanuts."

Hammer: What would you like? Would you like a suite on the third floor?
Chico: No. I'll take a Polack in the basement.

1 comment:

Jake P said...

That's what happens when you extrapolate "sell the sizzle not the steak" to its logical conclusion.

And thanks for the reminder to add "Cocoanuts" to my Netflix queue. Slowly but surely, I'm going back through the classics!