Monday, April 22, 2013

Less than sanguine.

Today's my first day back after 18 days out.

There have been sundry crises in my absence.

And sundry people jockeying to be the hero in those crises.

Who invariably--because they are working from a 'panic' position--have made things instead worse.

About 15 years ago I was at a meeting of worldwide creative directors of Ogilvy in Paris.

A guy spoke from the Copenhagen office, I think it was.

He had a nice turn of the phrase.

He said "Clients don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

I've always held to that concept.

It seems sensible to me.

In fact, if say Mitt Romney believed it, he might be president now.

I will probably repeat the line a few dozen times while the panic crescendoes around me.

But it will have no effect.

Because listening is part one of caring.

And most people don't care to listen.

No comments: