Wednesday, January 6, 2010

$36.


Some years ago I had a giant client meeting with a giant client. We were launching a massive global campaign. We must have had 200 print ads boarded.

The client hated everything. We would have to do it all all over again.

I sat that evening with the Vice Chairman of the agency--arguably one of the biggest names in all of advertising. I was crying in my beer.

I'll never forget his wise words. "Geo," he said, "the agency makes $36 on every comp we board. Just do it again."

5 comments:

Tore Claesson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tore Claesson said...

I try again.
If boarding comps was still in fashion advertising agencies wouldn't have too much too worry about. Almost nothing gets approved anyway.

Tore Claesson said...

too much to worry about, not too much too...oh man, and my resolution for 2101 was to spell check better. Lasted 32 seconds.

James said...

George,
I'm a CD at a Toronto agency small enough that I'm unwittingly exposed to similar profiteering machinations of the partners. Some agencies are in the advertising business. All too often, it seems these guys are in the business of advertising.

Shanty Mathew said...

I guess in every line of work, there are people who do it for the money. And there are those who do it to change the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oAB83Z1ydE