Sunday, January 24, 2010

Me and Neil Armstrong.


Years ago--I think it was the 10th Anniversary of Neil Armstrong's moon walk, I had the honor of interviewing Armstrong for my college newspaper.

Being a "writerly" sort, asked him specifically about his words on setting foot on the moon. How did you come up with "One small step for man; one giant leap for mankind."

Armstrong looked me dead in the eye, "I never said that."

"Mr. Armstrong," I replied, "I've heard the recording a thousand times. I've read about it in history books. Every school child knows you said 'One small step for man; one giant leap for mankind.'"

Armstrong said, "What I said was 'one small step for man; one giant leap for Manny Klein."

I begged the famous flier to explain.

Armstrong told me this story, "When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn, the walls in our apartment house were very thin. You could hear everything. And every night I would hear our neighbor, Manny Klein, begging his wife for oral sex. Every night, Mrs. Klein would demur.

"Finally," Armstrong continued, "Mrs. Klein relented. She said when a man walks on the moon, I'll give you oral sex. Hence 'One small step for man; one giant leap for Manny Klein.'"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neil Armstrong grew up in Ohio.

george tannenbaum said...

Yeah, I know. It was a joke.

Anonymous said...

At that time, I was a very ordinary promoter at a small company,
of course, I earned not much money which was just enough to support myself.
Further information can be obtained by contacting the
Washington Institute of Natural Medicine at (202) 237-7681.
Also like many single parents, Sebastiao is hoping to share the bills with her former spouse.
If the other driver makes any admissions of fault, write
those down as well. The delivery of Linda Mc - Cartney sausage rolls package
is usually in frozen form.

Feel free to surf to my blog :: nitridizes