Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thoughts from Jean Renoir.


Jean Renoir, as I have written in this (cyber) space many times before, is probably, to Americans at least, the least-known greatest film director who ever lived. From "Grand Illusion," to "Rules of the Game," to "Boudu Saved from Drowning" to dozens more, he consistently delivered great movie after great movie.

Often when I need a shot in the arm, I turn to Jean Renoir. I always find something he's shot, written or said that gives me some slim scintilla of hope. Or, maybe, better, some lightening of despair.

This morning I happened upon this quotation of his: "The real hell of life is everyone has his reasons."

This is a tough fucking business. We do not, ever it seems, have carte blanc to produce what we want. We have the exigencies of clients, timing and budgets to deal with. We have reasons to do what we do. That's how we get where we get.

I guess the trick to holding onto your personal integrity is not letting the "reasons" get in the way of your personal honesty.

There will be times when despite all the fight you have in you, the reasons prevail and you produce something that blows.

It happens.

We have our reasons.

Just don't let them become your truths.

No comments: