Sunday, June 9, 2013

Native advertising.

I’m going to say it, something nobody ever says.

I don’t think everything is a medium.

I don’t think everyplace is a place for advertising.

I don’t like brands taking over baseball stadiums. I don’t like to hear how a bank that almost took down the world’s economic system is “bringing me” Shakespeare in the Park. I don’t like logos on uniforms, or sunglasses, or restrooms or museums or Broadway theaters.

I don’t like “official sponsors of Summer,” and the official dog food of Nascar. I don’t like concerts logo-raped by credit card companies and commercials on the TV they mandate to be in the back of taxis.

I don’t like bikes with bank logos on them.

I do understand ads when I’m getting something for free—the ads pay for the freeness. But I don’t understand ads when I’ve already paid for something.

I don’t want ads on my phone. On my operas. On my public broadcasting. 

I don’t want ads when I go to a museum. Or when I vote for a Senator. I don’t want ads when I go to the park or see a parade.

I’m sorry.

I can’t be the only one who when he sees such placements gets angry.

We readily say to people, “you’re getting into my space.”

We need to say it to brands.

Not everything is a medium.



6 comments:

Tore Claesson said...

What's interesting nowadays is that what was always seen as the lowest form of advertising trickery, ads that tried to look and read like editorial, now is seen as the holy grail.The future of online advertising. Journalists turned into admakers.

Elias said...

This rings so true. "Citifield" ? Are you kidding me?!?!

Playoffs in the "Bank of America Arena in Miami" ?!?!?!?!

The sad thing is, it's become the norm and we don't even think about it anymore. Just like the NSA scandal..

Jeff said...

I remember years ago when theater advertising was first starting to make itself known, people in Los Angeles would literally boo loud and long when a commercial - at that time the only commercial - for the L.A. Times came up. It was the trade-off the theater chains made for discounted media in the times for their showtime listings. Since no one gets their showtimes from a newspaper anymore, those ads are long gone. Unfortunately, many more disguised as "pre-show programming" have taken their place. Sadly, the booing has stopped.

Anonymous said...

http://www.upworthy.com/the-coke-ad-that-could-destroy-all-other-products-especially-coke?c=ufb1

sheriffshooter said...

You should check out the Indian Premier League. That's a real jizzfest.

sheriffshooter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.