Friday, April 8, 2011

e.e. cummings.


I was reading this morning on the way to work, my commute takes about 35 minutes and while it involves a fair amount of hurly-burly and the slowest transportation known to man (the crosstown bus) I don't mind my commute. I put Mahler on my iPod, I open my book and I am transported.

This morning I ran across a quotation by e.e. cummings:

"who cares if some oneyed son for a bitch
invents an instrument to measure Spring with?"


It seems to me that a lot of what is wrong with our business and the world is that there is always some oneyed son for a bitch inventing an instrument to measure with.

We have sitcoms and movies that have been measured and researched to the point of garbage. The commercials we show clients--even commercials that evoke a visceral reaction when we present them are, in the words of my ex-boss Ed Butler, "put through the Blanderizer."

Everything we think, say or do is quantified and analyzed and bit and bytified to oblivion.

We are so busy measuring Spring, we forget to soak in the sun.

2 comments:

dave trott said...

George, I'm sure you already know this quote:
"Not everything that counts can be measured, and not everything that can be measured counts."
Albert Eibnstein

george tannenbaum said...

That Einstein could really sling it.