Wednesday, April 27, 2011

To my daughter.

My older daughter, who is a doctoral student in psychology, has an internship interview today and she's nervous. I spent a nice amount of time with her on the phone last night talking about success and "getting the job."

I don't have a lot of time this morning. I am off to Las Vegas for three days of conferences with my client. So this will be a little blunt.

Sarah, I told her, if your work is good, and it is, if you've accomplished things, and you have, collect your thoughts and speak with moderation and modesty about what you've done and where you're going.

There's an expensive co-op apartment house in Manhattan on 5th Avenue and 66th Street. It used to be an office building housing an interfaith religious group and directly across 66th Street from the magnificent Temple Emanu-El. About five years ago, the building was "converted" from ecclesiastical use to riches for the rich. But they left the Biblical inscription. Micha 6:8, I think. I think it's good advice for most everything.

"Act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with your God."

2 comments:

BOB HOFFMAN said...

How did the interview go?

george tannenbaum said...

Bob, Sarah tells me it went well. There are five candidates for every one job. But I have faith in her.