Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Think Gall.

Last week, or better, last weak, when Wire Paper and Prophylactic merged $2 billion worth of agency billings into one $500 million agency, I thought it might make sense for GeorgeCo., LLC, a Delaware Company to write an ad on the topic.

I get a lot of business from the little 5"x4" ads I run on LinkedIn and why shouldn't I try to get more? Further, if I can get it at the expense of Whyus Paprika and Psoriasis, all the better. Clients are no longer beholden to the old golf-club agencies--and more and more of them seem willing to venture out to a one-person shop like mine when they are frustrated by their traditional agency partners from Wretched Putzy and Phlebotic.

So, I took pen to paper and I quickly decided I would rewrite Julian Koenig and Helmut Krone's famous ad "Think Small." Since Mark Cant Read was extolling the virtues of an agency with 30,000 people in 64 countries, or 64 people in 30,000 countries, small seemed like a good counterpoint. My copy, instead of talking about the virtues of a small car, would talk about the virtues of working with a small agency.





Had I decided to write the ad, my copy might have read something like this:

Along the way as I started to try to make an ad, I realized my art-direction skills were not up to the task. I couldn't even figure out how to download VW's actual font.

So I abandoned the project. 

However, as I was trying to find a hi-res image of "Think small," I stumbled upon a story that back in 1966, DDB had gotten a bunch of artists and writers to put together a small book for VW dealers to give to their customers. It was called "think small." I found it online for less than a cuppa Starbucks and it arrived at my apartment twenty minutes ago, giving me material enough for yet another blogpost.

I'm nearing my 7,000th post, by the way.

And this is how I do it.














 








No comments: