Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Listen.

I have a 6AM flight this morning and also a 61-day running streak going, so I got up quite early to have a short run along the river to get my blood flowing.

I have run by the river a thousand times but never at 3:45 in the morning. It's different at that time. You can hear the river. Hear the lapping of the waters and the creak and clank of the barge and tug combos that push past.

It occurred to me that much of life is like that river. We see it but never take the moment needed to hear it. To listen to its quiet.

We do this in advertising. Everyone so type-A that meetings and even discussions become a shooting match. A kids' game of "did not/did too." Much gets said. Little gets heard. Nothing gets done.

As Yogi Berra never said, "You can hear a lot just by listening."

Today I listen.

No comments: