Monday, February 11, 2019

Nobody asked me but....pre-President's Day edition.

Nobody asked me but….is my sporadic homage to the great New York sportswriter Jimmy Cannon. When Cannon faced writer’s block, he’d write one of these, a hodge-podge of unconnected observations.

Nobody asked me but…

…I don’t want to ever work at any agency that calls firing a bunch of people a “strategic realignment.”…

…But I suppose that is unavoidable…

…It’s been a week since the Super Bowl, and I don’t miss football one bit….

…And I still don’t care if Andy Warhol once ate a Whopper…

…I wish there were fewer Starbucks in the city and more places that served Carvel….

…Come to think of it, I’d rather have Tom Carvel as president of the United States than Howard Schultz….

…In fact, I’d rather have Fudgie the Whale….

…Not to mention Cookie O’Puss…

…I’m pretty sure there’s no place on earth as quiet as an agency at 7PM on a Friday….

…One of the hardest things about working in advertising when you’re 61 is that there’s no one your age to talk to…

….I have almost no patience for people who talk of business models…

….I also have almost no patience for companies who appropriate then misspell a common word as their name….like Ascentive, or Expensify, or Robyoublindage,,,,

…To my mind, there’s only one practical business model: make more money than you spend….

….Walking on the beach yesterday with my wife and dog in the bright sunshine, I got a hint of spring though it was 25-degrees…

….Roughly everything in America is 1/3 too big, including myself….

….On Saturday, I drove through a fairly run-down section of Stamford, CT looking for a plumbing part. I ran across a street called Jackie Robinson Boulevard and a small park with this statue….





….There was a time ballplayers (though they were never quite mortal) lived among us….

…Even someone as surpassing as Jackie Robinson who made his home on Stamford’s humble west side, before he died at the age of 53 in 1972—just 25 years after he broke baseball’s color line….


…I suppose this is a way of saying, thank goodness baseball season and hope, which springs eternal, is just six weeks away.

No comments: