Tuesday, October 1, 2024

You Make Me Bizzy Miss Lizzy.




If you don't read John McWhorter who writes for the New York Times and who's an Associate Professor of Linguistics at Columbia University (spoiler alert: Linguistics is not a form of Italian pasta) you're really missing out. Language, in many ways, is what makes humans human. And understanding how words form and languages are used is a window into how people, cultures and communities think.

Last week, McWhorter wrote an article on the vibrancy of our language--much of which, he laments--is no longer being taught in schools. He starts his piece recalling a language exercise he was given while in seventh grade.


When I think about language, and my own fascination with words, I think much of that comes from being raised an outsider--a Jew in a Gentile world. Because my parents didn't grow up speaking English, when they learned English I think they were more attuned to its vibrancy. Outsiders are almost always better observers than insiders. It might be why so many of the people who guide amerikan culture come from outside of the main avenues of amerikan life. 

Billy Wilder, for instance, who won six Academy Awards and was nominated for a total of twenty-one, didn't speak English until he came to this country--escaping the nazis--at the age of nearly 30. His ear for language came from not knowing the language.

But enough of all that tongue twisting.

What really got me from McWhorter's piece was the off-register type at the top of this post. And his brief look into the derivation of the word "business."

As someone who has a full-time job but who works independently, I am an outsider to the business world. I work with business people, but I'm not one of them. I run GeorgeCo., LLC, a Delaware Company as my business, but as a business, GeorgeCo, LLC, is completely without rules, strictures and protocols. 

I win pitches, get assignments, do scopes, do the work, sell the work, revise the work, and sometimes produce the work. But I do it all without formality. I do it in a way that accommodates how I think, live, breathe and walk Sparkle, my one-year-old golden retriever. I do it in a way that lets me do business with a minimum of busy-ness.

So, when I got to McWhorter's exegesis on the word, it was especially interesting to me. 

“Business” starts with “busy,” and the first mystery about busy is why it’s spelled that way. We are so used to seeing it that we may not notice how weird it is....So how do we get 'business'? 

"A Scottish poem called 'The King’s Book,' from around 1400, describes “the little squirrel, full of busyness.” There was even an opposite word, busiless.

"Today, however, you don’t really think of this word as meaning a state of being busy. That is partly because we pronounce it not “busy-ness” but “bizzness.” Unmoored from that audible connection, its meaning has been free to drift its own way, although if you squint you can sense the original meaning in a sentence like 'Knock off that ‘Stranger Things’ business and get to work!'”

When I think about how much I am able to get done in a given day, how GeorgeCo's yearly revenue probably outstrips that of all but a handful of global agencies, it's because I have (productively) eliminated the busy-ness from my business.

I don't have endless meetings.
I have a way to create accurate scopes in minutes not days.
And I am able to reach the highest level of clients to get briefed so as not to be bogged down and confounded by an elaborate game of corporate "telephone," where the more the message is relayed the more it gets muddled.

Somewhere along the way, our corporate culture has conflated looking busy with getting things done. We've equated nervous activity with accomplishment. We've likened a long to-do list with actually doing.

Nothing could be further from reality.


Maybe busy-ness will show your boss how valuable you are. Becuase if you're so busy you have to work all night and work all weekend, it makes you feel important. But it makes me think of a bit I read by John Kenneth Galbraith, the great economist who wrote this in his 1958 book, "The Great Crash of 1929." (BTW, Galbraith's book is great and accessible. And, I fear, burning in its relevance.)

"Finally, there is the meeting which is called not because there is business to be done, but because it is necessary to create the impression that business is being done. Such meetings are more than a substitute for action. They are widely regarded as action."

Busy?



Some words go abstract. We say “It’s none of your business” as a single chunk and think nothing of it, but it’s an odd expression. It doesn’t refer to a business in the dictionary sense. It means, “It isn’t something that you are supposed to busy yourself about.” Things went even further with an expression my parents used to playfully use, saying “Nunya” as a shortening of “It’s none of your business,” in the same way as “goodbye” began as “God be with you.”

Then business was used even more abstractly in the old-timey expression “like nobody’s business” which meant “to an extreme degree.” This is where “So Long Letty” comes in.

Letty runs a beauty shop, something considered kind of racy in a time when ordinary women were just beginning to wear makeup. She sings about her clients:

You ought to see ’em
When Letty gets through with ’em
Oh, what I do with ’em
It’s nobody’s business!

But how does this refer to business at all? Think also of “Give him the business!” or an animal “doing its business.” None of these uses have anything to do with capitalism.

I hope I do not seem to expatiate (it means to go on at length). But there is no reason that the basics of linguistics — how sounds actually work, why sentences come out the way they do, how language changes over time, how children learn language — should be taught only to college students who intentionally seek them out. We teach schoolchildren about many types of transformation, including history and evolution. Why not the one they encounter every time they open their mouths to speak? (Incidentally, to get a sense of what a romp language and linguistics can be, I highly recommend a smart and also gorgeous card-based game League of the Lexicon. It’s a feast for the inquiring mind and even smells good.)



No comments: