Monday, October 21, 2024

Old Friends. "A Guest Post by Rich Wallace. (An Old Friend.)


RichWallace and I have been friends for a long time, at least by advertising standards. We sat next to each other and worked alongside each other for five years while at Ogilvy on IBM. Here's a link to Rich's site.

 

Since that agency went ersatz belly-up, Rich and I have gone our separate ways. Making our livings doing what we do. For the last five years for a variety of agencies and a variety of clients--without the long halls of Kafkaesque holding company parsimony. We've even gotten a couple of chances during that time to work together. It's nice to work with a pro--especially a pro like Rich, who has a work ethic like a sodbuster.

Last week, I sent Rich a note. I had an in-design question and I knew Rich could help. Within seconds, he and I were talking on the phone and in just a few more seconds, Rich sent me the ads below and told me the story of how they came to be.

 

Wow.

 

Here's the story in Rich's own words. The thing about work that so many people miss--not just people in what used to be the ad business--is that there are some practitioners, like Rich, who love it.


They love the stresses. The challenges. The entirety of the mishegoss. I think above and beyond that, they love winning. Taking something--a lump of clay in Biblical parlance--and molding something wonderful and inspiring out of it.

 

That's what the best ad people do. And when advertising works, that passion is reflected in the brands we work for. That passion attracts views, customers, advocates for our clients. 

 

All that is pretty basic. But I think too easily forgotten by too many people who are allegedly in the ad business. Too many are complying with a checklist of demands--not trying to do something they can be proud of, and their clients, too. 

Pride matters.
That's why people like Rich matter.


Here's Rich's post:



No comments: