Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The comedy that is all around us.


I took another day off today and so this morning took a short run and a long walk. As Yogi Berra might have said, "you can see a lot just by looking." You are subject to a lot of stimulus walking around New York City, and I guess I'm blessed, because a lot of what I see makes me laugh.

My first laugh this morning was the poster for Guns N' Roses' new album. The headline reads "The Most Anticipated Album Ever."

I'm no fan of Guns N' Roses but I find that hyperbole difficult to fathom. Of course at my age, I listen not to Guns N' Roses but "Gums and Cirrhosis."

My second laugh was a poster in the window of the neighborhood Bra Store, Victoria's Slutty Secret. There the headline emblazoned over a pair of breasts the size of an 18-wheeler's Michelins read: "Cleavage like this could only be a miracle."

Perhaps I'm naive but I always thought that part of the deal with Christmas was that Christians celebrated the miracle of Christ's virgin birth. If you believe in that sort of thing, that's a miracle. Cleavage is lovely, fine, enjoyable, but miraculous? Nah. Let me leave it at this: if you believe your cleavage is miraculous, put on a v-neck, come on over and let ME be the judge.

That's it, I think, except for Sleepy's, "The Mattress Professionals" being named one of "New York's top places to work in 2007."

No comments: