Wednesday, November 6, 2013

We can vs. We should.

It seems that most marketing these days is done because we can do it, not because we should do it.

To see this, at least if you live in New York, you don't have to look any further than your phone answering machine or your mailbox.

Everyday we have been inundated with a sea of ads for the various grubs running for various political offices.

We have been inundated to the point where we're turned off by the candidates. I actively didn't vote for people because they so barraged me with crap.

Brands are the same way.

I don't want Samsung sponsoring my basketball game, or Citibank or Verizon. I just want the Knicks to lose with their star-studded efficiency.

I realize every piece of real estate in America is now a "channel."

But maybe some things should be left alone.

We can send out ads targeted to left-handed cake-baking scuba divers.

We can tailor a message just to them.

And find stock that might appeal to them.

We CAN do all these things.

We SHOULD learn not to.

We SHOULD learn respect.

No comments: