Sunday, April 20, 2008

I don't understand.

I read a lot about advertising, about social networking, about viral, about the semantic web, about content, about reach and frequency, about CRM and CMOs, about all kinds of new modalities and paradigms shifting.

It is all bullshit.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

This is all you need to know.
If you do something fun and interesting, it works.
It's motivating and cost-effective.
It will deliver ROI. Customers. Etc.

If your "messaging" is scientific, boring and formulaic, it will suck.
It will not reach anyone. Or move them.

I saw a beautiful ash blonde the other day as I walked to work.
I formulated a communications strategy and a messaging plan around meeting her.
I created a prioritized list of deliverables.
I tested it in three markets.
Then analyzed the learnings and reformulated.

Before I actually spoke to her, she turned left and I turned right.
And that has made all the difference.

In short, anything that is not common sense is merely a full-employment plan
for over-thinking MBAs.

No comments: