Monday, March 5, 2012

Bad mood Monday.

As people who know me and readers of Ad Aged are aware, nine mornings out of 10, I get in hours before everyone else. Not only is this the time of the day when I think most clearly, it's well before the banal crush of the day-to-day tumbles over me like boulders down a steep escarpment. Morning is the time to get things done without interruption, without oozing account people, without chatter and without incessant, encroaching chazerei.*

Since I've been in the agency business for almost 30 years, people often ask me what's changed. And, undoubtedly plenty has. But, as I like to croon Dooley-Wilson-like, "the fundamental things apply, as time goes by."

There is, and always has been in our industry a subject-object between what people say they're going to do and what they actually do. There is, always has been, always will be a purgatory between the talkers and the doers. Between pontificators and pen-to-paper-ists.

I come in early because I am alive and energetic and eager to "do what needs to be done." I have little regard for those whose attitudes are bigger than their portfolios.
-
 *cha·ze·rei

[khah-zuh-rahy; Eng. hah-zuh-rahy] 
noun Yiddish.
anything of little value; junk; garbage.



No comments: