Monday, March 26, 2012

Work.

I have written a short thought piece for a client of mine about the tumult ordinary American consumers have gone through since the advent of the Great Recession. In it, as evidence, I inserted a fact: "7 out of 10 of the biggest stock market drops in history have occurred since 2007."

Late last night I got a note from an account person: "Where did you find that statistic."

I did not find that statistic, dear account person. I created it.

I thought.

I worked.

I said to myself, what would illustrate fear and disruption. I answered stock market drops.

Then I googled a list of largest declines.

I went through each one and marked the dates.

Then I saw a pattern.

That's where I "found" the statistic.

I don't know what is wrong with people. I'm often stopped and admired. "You know so many things; how do you do it?"

Well, here's how I do it.

I don't waste my time on stupid sports that eat up your free time. I don't follow Lady Gaga or Kim Kardashian's ass.

I read. I observe. I think.

In the case of interesting facts it is digging.

Not finding. There isn't a magic google button.

I work.

Work is work.

There are no shortcuts.



1 comment:

Tim said...

One of my pet peeves – people today equate creativity with fiction and imagination with fantasy.