Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Perspective.


About 12 years ago I had a new job and was reporting directly to Steve Hayden--arguably one of the most famous names in the advertising industry. I was still new at Ogilvy. I was not yet comfortable in my skin and I was intimidated by Steve. I feared I would be "found out," that I wouldn't be regarded as good enough for him.

In any event, one evening Steve called me at home on my land line. My wise ass 12-year-old daughter picked up the phone and went off in her pre-teen sassy way. "What do you want to speak to my father for."

"Who is it," I asked her.

"Some guy called Steve Hayden," she said to me.

"Give me the phone."

Instead she gave Steve some lip. Just a 12-year-old acting age appropriately.

I grabbed the phone from her and said something stupid like, "He's one of the 10 most important people in advertising."

To which my charming daughter replied, "It's not like he's Ricky Martin or anything."

1 comment:

David said...

This may be the harshest, happiest truth you've ever typed.