Thursday, January 9, 2020

Mark Denton, Esq., Part the Third. In which it all comes down to bagels. (As most things do.)


AD AGED:
What are you reading now?

MARK DENTON, ESQ.
I’ve got a massive library full of books but I don’t read them, I just look at the pictures. Most of my reading is online with anything that catches my eye on social media (isn’t the internet great!). I’m so wedded to my computer screen that I even struggle to find time to read comics nowadays.


AD AGED:
What are you listening to?

MARK DENTON, ESQ.
I listen to Dave Dye’s podcasts. Music-wise I like anything as long as it’s good and everything by Patience and Prudence.




AD AGED:
What’s your favorite movie?

MARK DENTON, ESQ.
My all time favourite film is Groundhog Day. It’s got comedy, humanity and a moral lesson. The best thing I’ve seen recently is the Joker…I can’t wait to watch it again.


AD AGED:
Who makes you laugh?

MARK DENTON, ESQ.
It’s a right laugh round at my gaff. My Missus keeps me in stitches, she’s a riot. She keeps doing these stupid dances and putting on funny voices. Think about someone trying to entertain a 4 year old kid.



AD AGED:
Do you ever go too far?

MARK DENTON, ESQ.
I always beat myself up if I think I haven’t gone far enough. I don’t think I’ve ever upset anyone. I did a talk once where I flashed up my poster with the ‘C’ word on it and someone in the audience left and slammed the door after them but that’s the only time I can remember getting a negative reaction. But then again, who knows what people are saying about me behind my back (oh, please let them be saying something).



AD AGED:
Somehow you remind me of Laurence Sterne’s 1759 novel “Tristram Shandy.” I remember reading it as a 21-year-old in a course on the early novel and coming across a solid black page. It seemed such an insurrection. It blew me away. Do you know the book? Do you have any thoughts on it?


MARK DENTON, ESQ.
I don’t know the book but I LOVE the page - what a compliment!


AD AGED:
Where, when, how did you start in the business?


MARK DENTON, ESQ.
I started in advertising as a visualiser at Leo Burnett in the 70’s. I was the white sheep of the family as the rest of them were all employed at G.F. Denton and Sons, Scrap Metal Merchants. My first big opportunity came about when I was offered a job at BBH as an art director back when it was a small hot-shop. Four years later I had my name over the door at Simons Palmer DENTON Clemmow & Johnson as predicted by Madame Claire of Catford (my clairvoyant).




AD AGED:
How is COY! Communications doing? Tell me about it.


MARK DENTON, ESQ.


AD AGED:
Do you ever come to New York?
(If you do come, we have a spare bedroom and a New York bagel waiting for you.)

MARK DENTON, ESQ.
I’ve been to NY on many occasions and I’ve enjoyed myself enormously every time. I’d absolutely LOVE to come back and give a few talks/presentations/book-signings/pre-prods (if anyone’s interested) and of course scoff as many bagels as I can cram into my gob...



Thanks a zillion George, for liking the book and taking the time to put these questions together.

You can probably tell from my answers that I’m a lot more comfortable with pictures than I am with words.

--



























No comments: