Wednesday, January 8, 2020

My interview with Mark Denton. Part the Second.


-->
This being the first half of my chat with Mr. Mark Denton, ESQ.

AD AGED:
Under my breath, I call people who suck the life out of an idea ‘needle-dicked bug-fuckers.’ What do you call them? How do you win them over? Do you win them over? Do you ever prevail and make them laugh?

MARK DENTON, ESQ.:
I think Prince (as in the artist formally known as) had a pretty good name for naysayers, he called them ‘Groove-Killers'. My only way of keeping them in check is to drown them in a tidal wave enthusiasm. It seems to work more often than not. Either way it’s nothing to lose sleep over because if ultimately they don’t want the best creative solution then who knows, if I’m lucky, the next client might (I’m assuming they’re clients).


AD AGED:
I’m a big fan of Tibor Kalman and his “Perverse Optimism.” And of course, his manifesto ‘Fuck Committees.’  Do you have a philosophy? A reason, or set of reasons, why you enjoy upsetting the universe? Do you upset the universe or is that just a presumption on my part?

MARK DENTON, ESQ.:
I’m not sure that I upset the Universe. I just have daft ideas and bring them to life on my terms. That means with my trusted team around me (but never a committee). With all of my personal work I just try to do the kind of stuff that makes me happy and if it touches other people then that’s a bonus. I get the impression that a lot of real people outside of the world of advertising appreciate my creative efforts and that’s good enough for me (some people IN advertising like my stuff too btw).



AD AGED:
What do you think of these words, which I had heard from the great American advertising man, Carl Ally: “Comfort the afflicted. And afflict the comfortable.”? 
(You seem more the afflict the comfortable type.)

MARK DENTON, ESQ.:
'Afflict the comfortable’?…I’m certainly not against making the audience feel uncomfortable in a way that might create a bit of nervous laughter. Like when I told my wife I might bare my arse (I believe you say ass in the US) and squat over a golden egg for the front cover of a magazine (that bit’s in my new book, page 294, for anyone who’s interested).



AD AGED:
What percentage of people think you’re crazy?

MARK DENTON, ESQ.:
I’m not the least bit crazy. I think generally the ad industry has forgotten how valuable it is to make people laugh. Real people pay to watch ridiculous game shows and Will Farrell films and when they’re online they choose to look at pyjama wearing cats playing the piano. Isn’t it crazy that some clients seem to think that the public want to engage with their dull, grey, sensible, more 'worthy’ adverts?




AD AGED:
Why aren’t you more famous?

MARK DENTON, ESQ.:
I’ve never thought about it before. Maybe it’s because I’ve never pursued fame, I’ve always had my eye on the next creative project instead of thinking about where it might lead to. That’s why it’s such a surprise to me when I get a big result like getting my work into the Royal Academy or starring in the National Football Museum or getting my flat on Japanese TV etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc….It feels like magic because it was never part of a plan. 



AD AGED:
Were you born in the wrong era?

MARK DENTON, ESQ.:
I was definitely born in the right era. I started in advertising in the mid 70’s and by the time I was 30 I had my name over the door of one of the most awarded agencies in the business. It was my success back then that has given me the freedom to be selective about what I do now (thank you God).


AD AGED:
My two favorite words are incunabula and callipygian. Do you have any favorite words? Could you tell them to me?

MARK DENTON, ESQ.:
Most of my favourite words have only got four letters and can’t be uttered in polite company. I’m very proud to say that I was the first and possibly the only person the get the ‘C’ word into the D&AD Annual. It was appropriate mind you, the idea relied on it…it did make me giggle tho’. My other favourite words are ones I make up with the Missus when one of us mispronounces something. Those words get permanently added to our ever expanding lexicon. PS. I looked up the meaning of callipygian (having well shaped buttocks) and now it’s one of my favourite words too.

--
More well shaped words with Mark Denton tomorrow.

Thank you for reading.






No comments: