Wednesday, September 23, 2009

They are not long


The weeping and the laughter,
Love and desire and hate.
I think they have no portion in us after
We pass the gate.

They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
Out of a misty dream
Our path emerges for a while, then closes
Within a dream.

Ernest Dowson's poem I've always loved. "Vitae Summa Brevis" is its title and that title comes from a quotation from the Roman poet Horace: Vitae Summa Brevis Spem Nos Vetet Incohare Longam, which essentially means, "Life is short, why dream?"

That being said, this morning I came upon an ad for Starkist Tuna. (A friend of mine used to call chicken "tuna of the land," but I digress, as always.) Anyway, back to this ad for tuna. The headline read: "Rethink Tacos."

And I think the folks at Starkist are right.
Don't think about 1 in 6 people unemployed in Michigan, or 1 in 9 in California, or 1 in 4 black people nationwide. Don't think about 50 million people without health insurance. Or a country coming apart at the seams in the midst of a bloodless (to date) civil war. Don't think of the two perpetual wars for perpetual peace we are currently fighting. Don't even think about the Yankees clinching a playoff spot.
Nope. Rethink tacos.

To that end, here is a recipe I got from the Starkist site.

Tangy-er Tacos – Zesty Lemon Pepper Tuna Creations®


Prep Time: 5 Minutes | Serves: 4
INGREDIENTS:
Tuna Creations package 2 (4.5 oz.) pouches StarKist Tuna Creations®, Zesty Lemon Pepper
8, 6" flour or corn tortillas
1 cup coleslaw mix
2 tomatoes, chopped
Guacamole (optional)
Shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
Cilantro, chopped (optional)
Green onions, sliced (optional)
Lemon and lime, sliced, for garnish
DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat tortillas in microwave for 10 to 15 seconds and put two shells on each plate.
2. Mix Tuna Creations® and coleslaw in small bowl.
3. Place 1/4 cup tuna and coleslaw on one half of each tortilla. Top with tomatoes, guacamole and cheese, as desired. Garnish with cilantro and sliced green onions. Sprinkle with lemon and lime juice as desired.
Tip: For color and a little extra flavor, add lemon and lime slices as a garnish and sprinkle the taco filling with lime juice.

No real point today. I was too busy rethinking tacos.

2 comments:

Graham Strong said...

So I guess that makes it "pollo del mar..."?

(It's always more fun when someone digresses with you.)

~Graham

Kelly said...

George,

I heard we had posts on the same topic today, so I came running to see why you're stealing my thunder. ;)

Now I have to go back and edit. I forgot to include my tuna tartare recipe.

Regards,

Kelly

P.S. I've always loved the line "They are not long, the days of wine and roses." So bittersweet! I'm always trying to make 'em last longer anyway.