Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Small talk

I've always castigated myself for being a little socially awkward. I'm not much of a schmoozer. I'm not one who hangs out after work or goes out for beers. When I'm with clients, I'm not a big fan of chit-chat.

Now, I'm on the third day of a five-day shoot and a host of people are here from the agency and the client, and their all on a full-fledged gallop into small-talk-ville. I notice when this happens I am almost invariably off to one side. And like I said, I beat myself for lacking the requisite people skills.

But today I realized something, it's not that I suck at chatting people up. Or even that I don't give a damn. Which I don't. But the fact is, I am old-fashioned. I believe that work, well thought-out, and well-sold is what really matters.

I am focused on other things. I'll leave the tummling to others.

2 comments:

peggy said...

well said.

Anonymous said...

Be a mensch. Just be civilmand open. No one is asking you to be Snooki.