Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Phantom Carriage.

"
Since I was a little kid I've always loved old movies. Today, there are a couple of great film archivists who month after month re-release old movies worth watch. The most prolific of these is Criterion and as a consequence I buy just about everything they produce.

My recently I received in the mail "The Phantom Carriage, a 1921 Swedish movie by director Victor Sjöström. "The Phantom Carriage" is a dark fable about love and death that foreshadows Bergman's "The Seventh Seal."

It ain't exactly something you'd find on the Hallmark Family Channel or Comedy Central. In other words, it's no barrel of laughs.

But if you're in the mood to see Death in living two-color, give it a whirl.
--

BTW, a couple times a year, Criterion runs 1/2-price sales through Barnes & Noble. You can pick up a bit of brilliance and history like "The Phantom Carriage" for about twenty bucks.

No comments: