Friday, October 2, 2009

This just in: Bad advertising from Detroit.



I've just come across these two ads from two divisions of Corporal Motors (the General has been demoted.) I suppose in a cost-cutting move, some marketing maven in the Renaissance Towers has decided that GM's advertising will be cheaper to produce if it all looks the same, ie. badge engineering brought to brand marketing. But that thesis isn't even the most heinous horror of these two slices of tripe.

Let's look first at the Cadillac monstrosity. "Sorry About the AppleCart." Hmm. Does the headline mean that this is the cross-over that's upset the apple cart. Man, that is complicated. And do you, Cadillac prospect really believe for a split scintilla of a nano-second that Cadillac is challenging the automotive status quo? Not Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz--Hyundai? And you upset the apple cart by producing ads that look exactly like those of Chevrolet? Maybe the headline should read, "Sorry That We Think You're Dumb As A Sack of Ball Peen Hammers."

Now to the Chevy abortion. "By Definition An Accord IS A Compromise." Wow. Accord has been one of the top-3 best-selling cars for close to 20 years. Loyalty among Accord owners is high. It's widely regarded as one of the best cars on the road. I have an idea! Let's insult it and its owners and suddenly proclaim that car a compromise.

There is such hubris behind this work. I picture myopic Detroiters and their toadying agency people strutting around saying, "If people only knew how good our cars are, they'd buy them." This is an attitude not unlike the one the US displayed in Vietnam. "If those wretched peasants only knew how great democracy was they'd kick Ho Chi Mihn in the arse." Fellas, it doesn't work like that. Witness a post "cash for clunkers" sales decline of 45% last month.

I know what I'd do if I worked for GM. And I know it would work. Man, somebody really should call me.

8 comments:

Teenie said...

All those upper-cases--especially in AppleCart--are just horrible. Who did these ads--or who got a hold of them once they were done?

george tannenbaum said...

I always thought Apple Cart was two words. I guess, they compromised.

Tore Claesson said...

It's an insult. to me as a car driving consumer. to me as a professional ad person. But hey, what do I know...

Teenie said...

I think it is 2 words... which is why the upper case and the sticking of the 2 together is totally baffling. Proofreaders are our friends--and our butt-savers. I wonder who made this ridiculous executive decision...

george tannenbaum said...

I can only imagine that the discussion as to whether apple cart was one or two words cost a couple dozen billable hours.

Teenie said...

You're on the money there, Geo.

O Blog it. said...

You missed the most important question. What color were the apples????

Oleg Kuzin said...

Please see my post on the same ad:
http://translatorsmusings.blogspot.com/
I was appalled by the "twist" of the word Accord. I was also very disappointed that ads now denigrate competition. This used to be a no-no when the automotive manufacturers behaved like gentlemen.