Thursday, October 22, 2009

Tomorrow's post today.

A brilliant friend of mine said something brilliant to me this morning, something I think we should all take the time to think about.

"Rushing is a form of violence."


So often in our business someone or some thing forces us to rush. Rush rush rush. Usually we rush only to wind up waiting for someone else. Someone else unable to plan their day, someone trying to assert control over you, someone fucking with your head.

I happen to work well under pressure. I am extremely fast. But I don't like to rush or to be rushed. Things, whether it's a clay pot, a spaghetti dinner, or an ad take time. They have a circadian rhythm. Violating that rhythm by rushing produces substandard work.

I've written my Friday post on Thursday.
I rushed to get it done early.

No comments: