Monday, October 26, 2009

Vs. Sameness.


One of the many things that upsets me about the state of the world to day is the utter lack of creativity. Maybe I've just seen too many commercials (1) for Disney's new "A Christmas Carol," with Jim Carrey. Or maybe I've seen too many web ads (1,000,000) where the animation looks almost exactly the same.

I guess it looks the same because it's done on the cheap or someone says, I like what so-and-so did, let's do something like that. Not thinking that that same conversation is happening at about 200 hundred agencies at exactly the same time.

I've written in the past about the dangers of what I call "the low-bid economy." You don't have to be an Albert Schweitzer to know you get what you pay for. All the rationalizations that you will beat the system are just that, rationalizations.

This morning I ran across a short movie by an animator called Gary Leib. It flies in the face of sameness and is worth taking a gander at.

1 comment:

Tore Claesson said...

Wonderful animation.
And your words about getting what you pay for are as true as ever.